WOODY & BIRDY BALL VISION
After a round of golf Sunday, Woody and Birdy Ball, golfer’s partners during the learning-reading journey through Golf as Guru: Mind”full”ness, Awareness and Self-Restraint, were enjoying 19th hole eats and drinks on the patio of the community golf club. The conversation evolved to a discussion of a vision for the club’s brand, strategies, and integral brand attributes. Interesting outcome…
A “crown jewel” with magnetic and addictive brand attributes, i.e. the experience of every golfer, every time, is attractive, alluring, and inspires a “must have again” occasion.
- Grounds, facilities, and equipment are immaculate.
- Leadership, management, and staff are courteous, efficient, and effective.
- Marketing and sales are targeted and enable optimum rounds of golf and golf cart rental.
- Net income sustains the club and maintains the club asset base.
INTEGRAL BRAND ATTRIBUTES (See Integral Life Practice, Wilber et al, 2008, Boston, MA: Integral, page 301)
- Comfortable with complexity
- Flexible and adaptive thinking
- Strong desire to learn and grow
- Open to change
- No need for status or displays of power
- Long term vision
- Recognizes complex patterns and interconnections
- Sense if integrity, self-responsibility, and accountability
- Values multiple intelligences
- Efficient behaviors
- Acts spontaneously and appropriately
- Adaptive to life conditions
- Balanced decision making
- Follows through on promises
- Pragmatic—does what works
- Obtains information needed for success
- Quickly learns necessary
- Takes advantages of biggest opportunities
- Leverages strengths, manages around weaknesses
- High trust, low fear culture
- Strategic collaboration
- Clear channels of communication
- Coaching and mentoring practiced
- Open questioning
- Ability to relate to multiple constituencies
- Adapts communication to audience
- Learning organization
- Leaders develop others
- Values process efficiency
- Small, flexible work teams
- Adaptive systems
- Appropriate technology
- Sustainable resource consumption
- Recognition of multiple social contexts—legal, political, ecological, economic, etc.
- Success defined by the triple bottom line—profit, people, planet
Birdy remarks, “Wow! That vision is a big bite to swallow. All we need now is a realistic assessment of current reality; and then we can put together yearly goals, objectives, and action plans to move us closer to the vision.” Woody comments, “Well said! I am tired. Let’s go home!”